Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Surprise! Fun, independent blog assignment!

First off, I feel like I need to explain why I started laughing so hard and became incoherent at Trevor's explanation of who Michael Moore was last week.  It's because when he asked, "Is he a great big fat person?" he was doing an impression of Ted Levine's character, Jame Gumb, in Silence of the Lambs:


And I found this unbearably funny.  

Okay, with that out of the way, this blog assignment is going to be very short.  I mostly just want you to read this article because it's something I'd like you to think about for short assignment four, the longer paper due in two weeks, and ultimately the Ronson book as well.  I'd like you to read the Keohane article (also available through learn@uw) and do these three things:

* Summarize Keohane's piece in 1-2 sentences - just a very broad overview.  
* Answer the question:  Have you ever seen this happen to people?  People who simply refuse to change their minds no matter what they learn?  
* Answer the question:  Have you ever changed a strongly-held opinion because you learned something new?  If so, what was it?  If not, do you think Keohane's explanation of how people react to facts matches your own behavior?

Not long, just something to cement the piece in your head.  You'll need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment